Wednesday, January 30, 2008

So Long, Senator Edwards...

Along with many others, I was shocked and saddened to see Senator Edwards suspend his candidacy for the presidency. While I am clearly a Clinton supporter, I admire Senator Edwards, and have supported his campaign financially as well. I have written him the following letter.

I urge anyone who might be reading this who is also a Clinton supporter, or an Edwards supporter considering switching to Senator Clinton, to also write Senator Edwards. I have provided the link to do so below.

Dear Senator Edwards:

I am so disappointed that you have decided to suspend your candidacy for president. As a fellow North Carolinian (who has lived all over, and has settled down below Charleston, SC), I share many of your concerns. I thank you for bringing the issues of poverty, homelessness among our veterans, and emphasis on health care for all to this contest. Even though I have decided to support Senator Clinton for president, I have continued to contribute to your campaign as recently as yesterday, as I wanted your voice to be heard loud and clear for those whom you represent.

I know that MANY Obama supporters will be asking you to throw your support to their candidate, but I URGE you to consider supporting Senator Clinton. Her health care package is VERY close to yours; she has shown unwavering suport for our troops, and speaks at every rally about supporting them, AND their families, when they return from war; and she already talks about the issues of poverty facing our nation. In other words, she holds the same concerns YOU do, and has a proven track record supporting those ideas. Her work on the Senate Armed Services Committee alone is indicative of her commitment to our troops. I ask you, sir, to please give her your support so that the issues that are near and dear to your heart, and mine, will be addressed by ACTIONS, and not just words.

I also want to say how mch I will miss hearing from your wife, Elizabeth. To be totally honest, if SHE was running for president, I would vote for her in a skinny second. Her intelligence, her courage, her warmth, her humor, her compassion, her commitment to social justice, to mention a few, place her in a league above many of the politicians now in Washington. I pray that she is blessed with good health, and has many, many more years upon this earth.

So to you and your family, I wish you the best, Senator. I am saddened that you are suspending your candidacy, but I assure you - YOUR voice, and those for whom you speak, HAS been heard. We will continue to fight for those who are less fortunate.

Thank you for your service to this country.

Sincerely,
The Rev. Amy

http://www.johnedwards.com/about/contact/form/

No comments: