Saturday, December 6, 2008

Is This "Bonhomie"?

A number of alert No Quarter readers posted links to this story, for which I thank them. I think.

You may have seen this photo via the Washington Post, too:



Wanna guess who the guy on the left is, the one groping the Clinton cut-out? Well, that is none other than the man who has made all the Obamabots swoon over Obama's beautiful speeches. That's right, he is Obama's top speechwriter, now the top speechwriter for the White House, Jon Favreau. You read that right.

Yes, this lovely photo was on Favreau's Facebook page, according to this article at The Washington Post, "One More Question..." As you may recall, Obama has quite the lengthy application process for folks who want to come work for him. One he would never pass in a gazillion years. (Which reminds me - a friend whose term in the Army is almost up mentioned sending his West Point transcripts to a head hunter. You know, so he can get a job once his stint is up. And he voted for Obama. I don't even think he knows that Obama has refused to ever release his, yet my friend had no qualms sending his out. The irony, the irony. But I digress...) Needless to say, this photo has gone the way of so many things Obama doesn't want you to know: *POOF*. But not before WaPo caugt it for posterity

So, what did Clinton's senior aide say about this photo?
"Clinton senior adviser Philippe Reines cast the photos as evidence of increased bonhomie between the formerly rival camps."

"Bonhomie? From Merriam-Webster Online, that is defined as "good Man," as in good natured. Uh huh. If it was so "good natured," Mr. Reines, why did Mr. Favreau feel the need to APOLOGIZE to Senator Clinton ("A transition official said that Favreau had "reached out to Senator Clinton to offer an apology.")?? Kind of defeats your jackass attempt to let this man off the hook.

I tell you what, if my senior aide dismissed that kind of sexist BS, I'd have something to say to him, too: "You're fired." Ahem.

It's a bit odd, actually, that Mr. Reines would choose that word given this:
"'Senator Clinton is pleased to learn of Jon's obvious interest in the State Department, and is currently reviewing his application,' he said in an e-mail."

I could be wrong, but that sounds like sarcasm to me. And not "bonhomie."

As I have said before, I think the rampant misogyny of this election season has desensitized us to plain ol' sexism. Before this election, I thought we were making strides with denouncing the "boys will be boys!" excuse for men's bad behavior toward women. You know, the whole frat boy mentality. Apparently I WAS wrong about moving away from such juvenile "antics." Obama and his inner circle have made sure of that...

This is going to be some four years for women, that's for sure...

No comments: