Wow. John Fund describes the move this way:
Democrats understand Sarah Palin is a formidable political force who has upset the Obama victory plan. The latest Washington Post/ABC Poll shows John McCain taking a 12-point lead over Barack Obama among white women, a reversal of Mr. Obama's eight-point lead last month.
It's no surprise, then, that Democrats have airdropped a mini-army of 30 lawyers, investigators and opposition researchers into Anchorage, the state capital Juneau and Mrs. Palin's hometown of Wasilla to dig into her record and background. My sources report the first wave arrived in Anchorage less than 24 hours after John McCain selected her on August 29.
They are digging into HER record. They could not be BOTHERED to do this with OBAMA'S record, but they are deploying 30 (THIRTY) people to try to get some "gotcha" information on Sarah Palin.
You may ask yourself, "Self, I wonder just what they are hoping to find out there in the frozen tundra??" (Hey, anything below, say, 75, is frozen to me!) Here's your answer:
The main area of interest to the Democratic SWAT team is Mrs. Palin's dismissal in July of her public safety commissioner. Mrs. Palin says he was fired for cause. Her critics claim he was fired because he wouldn't bend to pressure to get rid of a state trooper, Mike Wooten, who had been involved in a bitter divorce battle with Mrs. Palin's sister. Mr. Wooten is certainly a colorful character. He served a five-day suspension after the Palin family filed a complaint against him alleging he had threatened Mrs. Palin's father. They also accused him of using a Taser on his 10-year-old stepson, drinking in his patrol car and illegally shooting a moose.
Well, golly gee - just because he used a Taser on his 10 yr old stepson shouldn't get him in hot water!! Or for threatening to kill the governor's daddy! What the heck? How dare a state trooper be fired just for things like THAT? Sheesh! Those Republicans - no sense of humor, I tell ya!! Who cares if he was tossing back a few breskies in his patrol car while he was on duty? What could possibly go wrong from there?? He sounds like a real stand-up guy (that is complete and total snark, just in case you didn't know).
Let's just finish out the article:
Mrs. Palin will return to Alaska for the first time in nearly two weeks on Wednesday night, when she is scheduled to arrive in Fairbanks. Local Republicans will hold a "Welcome Home" rally for her. You can bet some of the Democratic opposition research contingent will be in the audience taking notes. They'll be the ones arriving in rental cars and wearing fancy dress shoes from back east.
Ahem. Yes, Obama can hang out with Jeremiah "Goddamn America, and Don't Think I'm Afraid To Have An Affair Or Two" Wright for 20 years. He can hang out with unrepentant domestic Bill "Could This Be Another Chance At The Capitol Building?" Ayers for over 20 years. He can get help from his good buddy, convicted felon Tony Rezko to get his mansion - which is in the same neighborhood as Ayers and Louis Farrakhan. Oh, and he got influence from Rezko, too, completely SCREWING the constituency who got Obama into office in the first place (well, not really so hard to do if no one else is on the dang ballot) by assisting Tony in getting a ton of money for his tenements. Or his relationship with Daley. The governor of IL. Auchi. The Nigerian money thing. The Annenberg Challenge thing and the mystery of the $110 million dollars, some of which made its way back to Jeremiah Wright (see how that comes full circle??). Oh, I could go on and on. The DNC should have used their bevy of lawyers and investigators to look a little more deeply into Obama rather than Palin. Heckfire, just finding out if he is eligibile to be PRESIDENT would be a good start, or did he ever have dual citizenship? See? These are just a few of the questions that need answering. It would have been good had they done that before giving Obama the nomination and treating Clinton like Pure-T crap - maybe then all those of us who actually care about democracy, women's issues, social justice, and HONESTY, might still consider ourselves Democrats! But by all means, rather than focusing on the PLANK in your own eye, much better to focus on the speck in your competitor's eye (paraphrase of Luke 6:42). Especially going after the bottom of the ticket instead of the top. Great job. I see the Republicans have taught you well, Grasshopper! Sheesh.
You know what? "At long last, (they) have no shame." They really don't. The DNC is spending its time and money vetting someone who, by all accounts, is a staight shooter (get it? She hunts and all.). What you see is what you get. Someone who believes in a transparent government SO much that she has the checkbook for Alaska online for the people to see. But they do not bother to vet the most secretive candidate I have ever seen, someone who will not allow his medical records or school records made available, who claims he has NO paperwork or date books for his entire time in the IL Senate, a man who will not even show his BIRTH CERTIFICATE or passport(s)!! And they are going to Alaska to vet Sarah Palin? Wow, it truly boggles the mind. As my good friend, the Divine Democrat, said:
If only the MSM would send as many people to Chicago as they are to Alaska to "vet" Palin. They've never vetted Obama and still refuse to do so. Let them go to Obama's 13th District in Chicago and take a look around at the crumbling buildings, signs of high crimes and gang activity. Let them look at the performance of the public schools there. Let them all see what a bang up job he's done for Chicago when he was the Illinois State Senator.
Oh...and we should only look at his performance as State Senator since he only wants to look at Palin's time as Mayor. Right?
Yep, I reckon so! How about that State Senate record, Obama?? Hahahaha! Ahem. As I mentioned the other day (and Divine, too, in her excellent post, "The Making of a Messiah" at her site and No Quarter), there is an excellent article that does just that, one of the few. Of course, it was only in a small Chicago paper before it made it's way to the Houston Press. So, naturally, since it was SO hard to fine, it's understandable more people don't know about it (that's sarcasm). Here it is, "Barack Obama and Me." It details how Obama had NO legislative accomplishments to his name until Emil Jones, a longtime Senator (who is retiring this year) decided to play Kingmaker. Give it a read, if youhaven't already. It's mighty telling.
Anywho - so the DNC is on a witch hunt against Sarah Palin. I don't know how else to describe it. But the McCain camp is not sitting silently by while this happens. Oh, no - unlike the DNC, when a prominent woman is attacked by the opposition, they strike back. McCain's campaign released the following yesterday: MCCAIN-PALIN 2008 LAUNCHES TRUTH SQUAD TO COUNTER ATTACKS ON GOVERNOR SARAH PALIN
ARLINGTON, VA -- With today's Wall Street Journal report that pro-Obama Democrats have "airdropped a mini-army of 30 lawyers, investigators and opposition researchers into Anchorage" to dig for dirt on our vice presidential nominee, the McCain-Palin campaign today launched the Palin Truth Squad to counter recent attacks on Governor Sarah Palin, her family, her friends and her record of accomplishment. The Palin Truth Squad will set the record straight against Internet and liberal smears of Governor Palin.
"We're proud of Governor Palin's leadership in Alaska and record of taking on entrenched special interests and the good old boys network," said former Governor Jane Swift. "Governor Palin's commitment to reform is well-known but there are those who would seek to distort that record with vile rumors and smears against her, her husband, her children and her friends. We will not allow those on the left and in the media to smear a woman who has always served her constituents with honor. We know the truth and are committed to ensuring it as well."
In the event of false attacks, rumors and smears against Governor Palin, the Palin Truth Squad will issue alerts and statements to voters and the media to set the record straight. Additionally, the Truth Squad will be available to respond to inquiries from the media.
National Members Of The Palin Truth Squad:
· Former Governor Jane Swift (R-MA)
· Governor Linda Lingle (R-HI)
· Lt. Governor Sean Parnell, (R-AK)
· Congresswoman Michele Bachmann (R-MN)
· Congressman Marsha Blackburn (R-TN)
· Congresswoman Shelley Moore Capito (R-WV)
· Congresswoman Thelma Drake (R-VA)
· Congresswoman Mary Fallin (R-OK)
· Congresswoman Virginia Foxx (R-NC)
· Congresswoman Kay Granger (R-TX)
· Congresswoman Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-WA)
< font face=Arial>· Congresswoman Candice Miller (R-MI)
· Congresswoman Sue Myrick (R-FL)
· Congresswoman Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-FL)
· Congresswoman Heather Wilson (R-NM)
· Jo Ann Davidson, RNC Co-Chair
· Rosario Marin, Former U.S. Treasurer
· Meg Stapleton, Former Aide To Governor Palin
· Kristan Cole, Lifelong Friend Of Governor Palin
State Members Of The Palin Truth Squad:
· Former Lt. Governor Jane Norton (CO)
· State Representative Amy Stephens (CO)
· State Board of Education Member Peggy Littleton (CO)
· State Representative Ellyn Bogdanoff (FL)
· County Commissioner Mildred Fernandez (FL)
· Former Iowa Senate President And Former U.S. Ambassador To The Eastern Caribbean, Mary Kramer (IA)
· State Representative Jackie Walorski (IN)
· State Representative Laura Brod (MN)
· Former GOP State Party Chairwoman And Former State Rep. Barb Sykora (MN)
· Jayne Millerick, Former NH GOP Chair (NH)
· State Senator Jennifer Beck, Honorary Co-Chair NJ Women For McCain-Palin (NJ)
· Assemblywoman Alison Littell McHose, Honorary Vice Chair NJ Women For McCain-Palin (NJ)
· Bergen County Clerk Kathe Donovan, Honorary Co-Chair NJ Women For McCain-Palin (NJ)
· DA Dona Ana County Susana Martinez (NM)
· Former Lt. Gov. Lorraine Bono-Hunt (NV)
· State Senator Barbara Cegavske (NV)
· State Assemblywoman Heidi Gansert (NV)
· Sue Lowden, Nevada GOP Chair (NV)
183; Kay Ayres, OH GOP Vice Chair (OH)
· Betty Montgomery, Ohio Women For McCain-Palin Chair (OH)
· Mary Taylor, Ohio Auditor Of State (OH)
· Margie Hughes, Clackamas County Chair Of Women For McCain-Palin (OR)
· Linda Neace, West Linn Small Business Owner For McCain-Palin (OR)
· Deanna Smith, Women For McCain-Palin Chairwoman (OR)
· Renee Amoore, PA GOP Deputy Chair (PA)
· Joyce Haas, PA GOP Vice Chair (PA)
· State Senator Lisa Baker (PA)
· Diana Irey, Washington County Commissioner (PA)
· Christine Toretti, RNC National Committeewoman and McCain-Palin Pennsylvania Co-Chair (PA)
· Kim Ward, Westmoreland County Commissioner and McCain-Palin Pennsylvania Regional Chair (PA)
· Former First Lady Susan Allen (VA)
· Lori Ann Miller, Young Republican Federation Of VA Chairman (VA)
· Former Lt. Gov. Margaret Farrow (WI)
· Peggy Oban Boze, McCain-Palin Chairwomen For King County (WA)
· Susan McCaw, Former Ambassador To Austria (WA)
· Della Newman, Former Ambassador To New Zealand (WA)
I believe this is known as the (and I am paraphrasing just a little), "Screw me? Screw YOU screw me!!" strategy by the McCain camp.
Add to that the delight you KNOW the Alaskans are going to feel having these 30 interlopers coming in trying to dig up dirt on their WILDLY popular governor! Oh, yeah. I'm sure the good folk of Alaska will be all too happy to help you Armani, Prada, Jimmy Choo wearing Dirtmongers out - right back out of their state.