Saturday, June 4, 2011

All Aflutter Over Palin's Paul Revere Comments

Oh, my - Sarah Palin really stepped in it this time, didn't she? She completely bungled the history of Paul Revere while up North. Yes, this short little clip says it all:



What an idiot, right? I mean ALL the Lefty blogs and news channels are claiming so, from Think Progress above, to Mother Jones, to Chris Matthews (big surprise), to USA Today, and many news outlets in between. Yes, they are all laughing with glee at the ridiculous, preposterous account by Sarah Palin of Paul Revere's ride.

Except - she's right. Whoops.

I am sure all of these outlets are just RACING to correct the record. Ahahahaha - not. Of course they aren't. It is far too much fun to attack Palin for being the biggest idiot this side of George Bush, so why would they bother?

What I have really found funny is when people point out Obama's misspeaks, his minions are quick to defend him. Check out this comment from Mother Jones in response to someone's mentioning the 57 (and counting) states comment by Obama:
Nishant Srivastava; Except Obama, at the time a rookie national campaigner, said "We've visited 57 states", when he obviously meant stops in states at a press event he did as part of a campaign for President.

Palin has endured the heat of a prior political campaign, so one can reasonably argue that she should have more experience. [snip]

Uh huh. Except at that point, Obama had been on the campaign trail for months and months, and that was not the only stupid thing he said then, or now. And never mind that Palin had been riding around on a bus for hours and hours and hours - she couldn't possibly be the least bit tired when she said what she did about Revere.

Which, as I noted above, turned out to be correct, as this historical document highlights:
[snip] I observed a Wood at a Small distance, & made for that. When I got there, out Started Six officers, on Horse back, and orderd me to dismount;-one of them, who appeared to have the command, examined me, where I came from,& what my Name Was? I told him. it was Revere, he asked if it was Paul? I told him yes He asked me if I was an express? I answered in the afirmative. He demanded what time I left Boston? I told him; and added, that their troops had catched aground in passing the River, and that There would be five hundred Americans there in a short time, for I had alarmed the Country all the way up. He imediately rode towards those who stoppd us, when all five of them came down upon a full gallop; one of them, whom I afterwards found to be Major Mitchel, of the 5th Regiment, Clapped his pistol to my head, called me by name, & told me he was going to ask me some questions, & if I did not give him true answers, he would blow my brains out. He then asked me similar questions to those above. He then orderd me to mount my Horse, after searching me for arms. He then orderd them to advance, & to lead me in front. When we got to the Road, they turned down towards Lexington. When we had got about one Mile, the Major Rode up to the officer that was leading me, & told him to give me to the Sergeant. As soon as he took me, the Major orderd him, if I attempted to run, or any body insulted them, to blow my brains out. We rode till we got near Lexington Meeting-house, when the Militia fired a Voley of Guns, which appeared to alarm them very much. [snip] (Click here to read the rest.)

So, tell me where she was wrong?

Like Palin or not, the issue here is one of hypocrisy. We saw it with Hillary Clinton when she exaggerated a story about a trip in Bosnia, one that was fraught with danger, which was, of course, omitted from the accounts.

Obama has misspoken PLENTY, but his misstatements are often underreported by the media or just plain ignored. I don't recall ANY major news outlet going through his books the way they did Palin's book. If ANYONE else had said in a speech so blatant a lie as he did describing how the March on Selma enabled his (glorious) birth into this world, though he was born at least FOUR YEARS BEFORE the March, they would have been treated like, well, like Sarah Palin was for what she said about Paul Revere. Though, again, she was accurate, and Obama was not.
At least Hillary Clinton's claim about Bosnia had SOME truth to it - Obama was just a liar, and allowed to get away with it (then as now).

And they wonder why Palin doesn't like to talk with MSM? Sheesh.

Bottom line, I don't care if you love Palin, or think she is Demon Spawn, want her for president, or are horrified at the thought of it. What I DO care about is the media lambasting her for something she was actually correct about, when it fails repeatedly to acknowledge Obama's foibles (or other prominent Democrats - Biden's gaffes are now treated as routine), and to do so in such an incredibly juvenile manner. That is the purview of hacks and rags, not prominent news outlets.

My advice? Try checking your facts before you go on the attack, and grow the hell up already. Be a big enough person to admit you attacked her in error, and APOLOGIZE for it. There are legitimate reasons to question ANY politician in a rational manner. But the uproar over this alleged "gaffe" was far from reasonable, and far from adult. Issue a retraction, admit your mistake, and try and be a little less biased in your coverage. Just a thought.

Oh, and for all of those who jumped on this bandwagon just to attack Palin, this is for you:

Copyright © 2011 by Rabble Rouser Reverend Amy

3 comments:

Mary Ellen said...

Just yesterday I visited one of my old haunts..one which I left because it was on his blog that I was called a racist for the first time and said nothing. Anyway, this guy has a terminal case of Sarah Palin Derangement Syndrome. I swear, not one week goes by where he hasn't had at least four or more posts with the mention Sarah Palin and the usual photo-shopped pictures. Honestly, I swear the guy cannot stop obsessing over her!

So..his last post was about how pissed off that the press were following her bus all over the U.S.

I couldn't help it, I asked him why he thought they shouldn't give her the time of day, when almost every single post he's written since she was asked to run for McCain's VP spot, mentions her.

He didn't like that...they never like their hypocrisy to show in the light of day. He just rambled on with more Sarah Palin insults. I swear, Amy, I could almost see his mouth foaming as he was writing his answer.

I hope we see more media speaking out on her behalf. I sure would like Krauthammer to stick a sock in it.

Rabble Rouser Reverend Amy said...

Hey, ME -

Well, you may have gotten your wish abt Krauthammer. I understand he said the other day that of course she is smart, since the meme is that she is such an idiot. What amazes me is how even the great things she did for her state while governor are somehow dismissed as not REALLY being because of her, while Obama can say the stupidest things, DO the stupidest things, play golf over 70 times as prez, and they just find a way to defend and support him. Hypocritical much?

And you really have to wonder why someone like this guy is so obsessed with her. Is it that he thinks she shouldn't have the right to her own opinion, or - gasp - be beautiful AND accomplished, or have a great relationship with her husband, or what? I really do not get it.

There seems to be a desire in this country to obliterate smart, accomplished, powerful women, or at least to take them down a peg. We saw it CONSTANTLY with Hillary, and now they are turning that same kind of sexism on Sarah and Michelle Bachmann (I really don't know much abt Bachmann except that she is an atty, has a bunch of her own kids, and a bunch of foster kids - I guess that alone makes her a target, right?).

So - have you seen any of these outlets issue a correction and apology? "Mother Jones" sure hasn't. BIG surprise - not...

Rabble Rouser Reverend Amy said...

Oh, wait, ME - I just saw an article that Michelle Bachmann says now is the time for states to outlaw same-sex marriage - bah, HUMBUG!

And get this - Howard Dean told The Hill that he thinks Palin could beat Obama. Hmmm - perhaps that's his flip off after the way they dismissed him despite his selling his soul for O to become the nominee. Still - funny!