Sunday, September 27, 2009

For A Change...

I don't know about you, but I could use a day off from all of the rancor of politics - ACORN, Health Care Reform, Iran, all of that. It will still be there tomorrow (unfortunately). So, since I'm feeling pretty good - my beloved Yankees are one game away from clinching the AL East title, and it's Sunday, so time for a little break.

For something funny, I recommend The Onion's, "Cat Congress Mired In Sunbeam." Just to whet your appetite, here's what their Congress looks like in action:



C'mon, how cute is that? At least they were TRYING to get something done before the Sunbeam came along...

I have a funny story of my own to tell you - though it has nothing to do with cats. Way back in December, I had a post which included a video of my favorite opera singer, Kathleen Battle. Huh - I guess there is "Kat" in there, so yeah, I guess these are related after all. Anyway, the other day, I got a bulletin in the mail from the Charleston Concert Assoc. I was glancing through it, and lo and behold, Kathleen Battle is coming here in December.. I was ecstatic - couldn't believe my eyes!! I fired off an email to my partner licketty split, telling her of this exciting event, and the need for us to get tickets tout de suite. She wrote back, and I quote, "...I’ve known abt this since JUNE!! It’s a done deal." Meaning, she had already gotten us tickets for my holiday present. Turns out she had been sneaking out all of the bulletins coming in the mail so I wouldn't see this (she was out of town at the time this came). Poor thing - I ruined her surprise...But I'm still mighty excited. I saw this woman perform at the Metropolitan Opera while in graduate school, by herself, and once with Jessy Norman. Battle is a former school teacher from Ohio, now recognized as one of our greatest opera singers. Here's a reminder (with bonus very cool footage from the movie from which the song came):



If opera isn't your cup of tea, I have this, another song that soothes the soul from one of our greatest singer-songwriters:



And one more to round out the day:



Hope you've enjoyed the break!

2 comments:

TypewriterStreaming said...

How generous. Thanks so muchRev!!
Awesome... enjoy the show! She's fantastic indeed...

Rabble Rouser Reverend Amy said...

Oh, my pleasure, TypewriterStreaming! Glad you enjoyed it. I am sure I'll be telling you ALL abt the show! :-D

Hope you're enjoying your day...