Thursday, February 19, 2009

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

If I may take a break from my 401 k plunging, and the DOW plunging again, and North Korea looking to blow us to smithereens, I'd like to share a story with you. Here goes:

A little over a month ago, the woman who cares for our horse called to say she had found the CUTEST dog at her place of employment, and I just HAD to see it. She thought the dog would be a good addition for my mother and her dog. As it turned out, I was getting ready to go stay with my mom the night before I had knee surgery. So, the dog stayed at the vets, got her shots, got all cleaned up, and started eating regularly. She was completely emaciated. Despite that, and the sores on her pads from walking so much, she was just as sweet as she could possibly be. Lovely dog.

Well, it was clear that Lucy's food obsession was going to be too much for my elderly mother to deal with, so we brought Lucy back home with us after my surgery. Here she is:



You can still see her ribs in this photo, even though she was eating three meals a day at that point.

Well, we got her down to two meals a day. But then we started to notice something. She was still getting bigger. Oh, you could still feel her ribs, and her spine, but she was getting bigger. And bigger. Here she is now:



Yep. She's pregnant (our dog, Sasha, is behind her in this photo). With AT LEAST (!) eight puppies. And she is due any day now. A friend asked if we knew who the baby daddy is, but he came along before we got her, so no clue as to his identity.

Sigh.

When I was growing up, I didn't really get that expression, "no good deed goes unpunished." Adulthood changed all that. Too many examples of that very thing happening over the years to get into, but this is one with very obvious, living, breathing, adorable, results.

We have her whelping bed all set up now. And we are keeping a close eye on her. But neither one of us has dealt with a pregnant dog since we were children (and it was our PARENTS who dealt with the mother dogs then). Fortunately, our vet has given us a ton of information, which we have both studied religiously. And to think that I was actually waiting for the day we could take her in to get spayed (she was too thin before). I guess I'll be waiting a while longer.

So, I have one question - anyone want a puppy?!?! How about a matched set?

4 comments:

Mary Ellen said...

Oh! Puppies! If I could convince my husband (and my dog, Fannie May) I would take one in a heartbeat.

I'm sure your vet told you everything you need to know about whelping. If this suggestion wasn't given, it might be something to consider...since the mommy dog has obviously been pregnant and had very poor nutrition until she was rescued by your friend, one or more of the puppies may have problems with nursing from mom. You might want to have some puppy formula to bottle feed at the ready. I think there are special bottles (or you could use a sterilized eye dropper) just in case you need to take over emergency feedings. If they go more than a few hours without feeding, the puppies may not survive until the next day.

I'm sure your vet covered all that, however.

I can't wait to see the new puppy pics when they arrive! Good luck to Lucy...and you!

Stray Yellar Dawg? said...

Thank you so much for taking her in! And for letting her have those babies.

If you need help placing them, contact me via my website:

www.threesisters.petfinder.com

I also run "Ohio Hound Rescue" and we place many dogs all over the east coast.

Oh, and congratulations! On your eight little grandpuppies!!

Rabble Rouser Reverend Amy said...

Hey, Mary Ellen!

Yes, we are waiting on them. Any day now...

That is EXCELLENT advice abt the puppies. Our vet was concerned abt a few of Lucy's teats, which are enlarged from her scratching when she was on the lam. So we are supposed to keep an eye on that. But great advice abt the rest. The vet DID say she is very healthy now - fortunately, for the past 5 - 6 weeks, she has gotten excellent food, so hopefully, everything will be fine.

Oh, I am sure you will be SICK of my puppy photos by the time it is all said and done!

I think Fannie May would LOVE to have a little friend! Really!! Tell your husband!! :-D

Rabble Rouser Reverend Amy said...

Stray Yellar Dawg -

Thank you SO much for the work you do! That is really, really great. I am sure I don't have to tell you what a hard time this is for animals...

And thank you so much, too, for the offer to help place these puppies. I have to say, I am a little concerned abt it. We might be able to keep one (we had two dogs and four cats before Lucy came on the scene), but that would be the limit for us...

Thank you!