Saturday, June 13, 2009

And The Hits Just Keep On Coming

Oh, boy. Well, Obama recently showed his true colors on "Don't Ask, Don't Tell," (see this, this, and this) and he has REALLY shown them on "DOMA" (Defense of Marriage Act). I'm sorry to keep harping on this, but hey - it IS Pride month, after all, and what better time to stab a community in the back than the month you proclaim for them? At least that seems to be Obama's Opposite World logic.

Before I go any further, let me just say, for the gazillionith time: I TOLD YOU THIS WAS GOING TO HAPPEN. All of us who didn't just blow off his anti-gay associates, those of us who saw his saying one thing and doing another, without making excuses ("well, yes, I am disappointed, but..." Those of us who paid attention to his close associates KNEW this was coming. Once again, for all of you groups who supported Obama, who just KNEW he was going to bring Hope! and Change! on his little Rainbow Unicorn Pony, thus throwing the rest of us to the curb, I freakin' told you so.

John Aravosis, lays it all out in this article, "Obama Defends DOMA In Federal Court." Here's a little taste of it:
We just got the brief from reader Lavi Soloway. It's pretty despicable, and gratuitously homophobic. It reads as if it were written by one of George Bush's top political appointees. I cannot state strongly enough how damaging this brief is to us. Obama didn't just argue a technicality about the case, he argued that DOMA is reasonable. That DOMA is constitutional. That DOMA wasn't motivated by any anti-gay animus. He argued why our Supreme Court victories in Roemer and Lawrence shouldn't be interpreted to give us rights in any other area (which hurts us in countless other cases and battles). He argued that DOMA doesn't discriminate against us because it also discriminates about straight unmarried couples (ignoring the fact that they can get married and we can't).

He actually argued that the courts shouldn't consider Loving v. Virginia, the miscegenation case in which the Supreme Court ruled that it is unconstitutional to ban interracial marriages, when looking at gay civil rights cases. He told the court, in essence, that blacks deserve more civil rights than gays, that our civil rights are not on the same level.

Yep. Pretty much. But we already knew that, didn't we? When the military will gladly take people, check that - heterosexual people - with criminal records over keeping West Point grads, I think the message is clear.

I am disgusted beyond belief. Not surprised, mind you, just disgusted. And angry.

There's more, as this article highlights, "Gay Rights Groups Irate After Obama Administration Lauds Defense Of Marriage Act." Make sure you check out the powerful photo in this one:
As a presidential candidate, Barack Obama claimed "we need to fully repeal the Defense of Marriage Act," which says states are not required to recognize other states' same-sex marriages.

That was then. This week, the Obama administration is facing the ire of gay rights groups after it filed a brief in California federal court defending the Defense of Marriage Act and calling it a "valid exercise of Congress' power" that is saving taxpayers money.

The Defense of Marriage Act, or DOMA, was signed into law by President Clinton in 1996. It doesn't prohibit same-sex marriages; instead, it says that no state "shall be required" to honor same-sex marriages taking place elsewhere or any "right or claim arising from such relationship."

"Liar, Liar, Pants On Fire" would be appropriate here, IF we weren't talking about people's LIVES. And that's what makes this so egregious. Still disgusted beyond belief, but this time, not only with Obama, but these groups who jumped on his little American Idol bandwagon, lapping up his Teleprompter "Words, just words." And that's JUST what they were - words. The actions are telling the tale, and it ain't good.

And in a related case, the DOJ weighs in on a related case, "DOJ Moves To Dismiss First Fed Gay Marriage Case":
The government said Smelt and Hammer seek a ruling on "whether by virtue of their marital status they are constitutionally entitled to acknowledgment of their union by states that do not recognize same-sex marriage, and whether they are similarly entitled to certain federal benefits.

"Under the law binding on this Court, the answer to these questions must be no," the motion states.

Oh, yes - he is SUCH a friend to the LGBT community - in Opposite World, that is. And this kind of backtracking, bamboozling, bullshit from Obama is precisely why I told the HRC guy who called me the other day to get me to reinstate my membership that there was no way in hell I would do that after the HRC supported Obama, and not HRC (you know, as in Hillary). He kept telling me that Obama SAID he was going to this, and Obama SAID he was going to do that. I told him Obama could say whatever he WANTED, but the fact remained he had done NOTHING yet, and his history led me to believe he wouldn't. I just didn't realize that in one week - within a couple of days of each other - that Obama would prove me right. And not just that he wasn't going to do anything, but he did WORSE than that, screwing us six ways to Sunday. What I told this man at HRC as I got off the phone was, "Obama is no friend to the GLBT community." Talk about an understatement.

Once again, I say that anyone who thought for one skinny second that Obama was going to do anything at all positive for the GLBT community was deluding themselves so they could vote for the one everyone said was the cool kid, the popular guy, the one whose razor thin resume would have been laughed at except for his marketing team who billed no experience, and no qualifications, as the Change We NEED!! Well, this is change alright, but I sure as hell don't need it, and frankly, I resent all of those people who mindlessly voted for this man, who attacked all of us who didn't buy his hooey from the get-go, all those people who called (and still call) us racists, and on and on and on because we didn't swallow the Kool Aide.

So, during this Pride Month, let me just say, thanks shitloads for giving us this guy who is taking us back, no, legislating us back into the closet (a little poetic license - you know what I mean). Yep - thanks a whole lot for a whole lot of grief.

Now - what are you gonna DO about it???

4 comments:

Logistics Monster said...

GMTA Rev - I just had to take out We Freakin' Told You So! out of my latest post because, well because. I just keep adding, Can We Impeach Obama YET? to everything. I have a new saying "5 Minutes Have Gone By...What Have The Moonbats In Washington Done Now?

BTW, could you possibly expand on what you really think? :::smirk:::: one red hot rant today, and greatly needed!!!

Thanks from this indie for telling the HRC man to frak' off. Our voices do not get heard except at election time because those freaks do not call us!! ;) Just tell em that indies agree with you next time!!!

P.S. I do believe I will be in Washington DC on 9/12/09 for the March - want to join me? :::evil grin:::

Rabble Rouser Reverend Amy said...

Hey, friend!

Good to hear from you - I trust you know I drop by your "place" often. Great work you're doing over there!

It really is astonishing, isn't it? My Obot sister kept at me over and over and over abt how GREAT Obama was going to be for the GLBT Community, FAR better than that McCain guy could ever be, dontcha know? Just like how we women HAD to vote for Obama because he was SO great for women, and, um, uh - Roe V Wade!!!!!

Blech. She, and others in my family who voted for him will NEVER admit what a joke all of that is, how he sold them a bill of goods, and sold us down the river.

Hmmm - very tempting, DT - I might just do that. That would be something else! Please keep me posted!

Logistics Monster said...

Rev,

The magnitude of the mistake that the obots made is SO HUGE that they can never admit to it. Not Ever! I personally do not believe that 69 million people still agree with this idiot child front man.

I will keep you posted as to what I end up doing on 9/12/09.

Rabble Rouser Reverend Amy said...

I think Obama has that same core group of people, like Bush did, who support him no matter the height of his idiocy or lies.

That being said, what are all the rest of the people going to do abt it who voted for him? Maybe start asking to actually see his college transcripts or something? His COLB? Whatever it is, they need to get going soon - and NOT have Biden take over - he's as much of an idiot as Obama (maybe more, since he discloses at press lunches secret locations).

What. A. Mess.

And please do!

Great post today, btw!