Sunday, January 11, 2009

If This Is A Feminist...



Then I have been mislabeling myself for the past 36 years. See, I thought a feminist was someone who believed in women's equality, who believed that women's rights were human rights, who believed that women had the right to make decisions about our own bodies, that women had the right to equal pay, and that women had the right to self-determination, not being ruled by a man, to name a few. See, that's what I thought it meant. What a surprise to discover at this late date that, at least according to Ms. Magazine, I have been WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.

Evidently, in their opinion, a feminist is someone who plays songs like, "99 Problems But a Bitch Ain't One" when he enters a hall (and I intentionally picked the link to go to Huffington Post since so many of those people claim there is no way this happened. Hell to the yes, it DID.). A feminist is someone who flips off - in public - in a speech that is televised - a female US Senator who is also a Former First Lady of the US and a Former First Lady of Arkansas who, coincidentally, believes women's rights are human rights. She even gave a little speech about it. But I digress...

Apparently, a feminist is someone who chooses for the chair of the Democratic National Committee a man who is anti-choice (oh, and as a bonus, anti-gay). A feminist picks a pastor, Rick Warren, to give a major prayer who equates abortion to Nazism. Once again, as a bonus, is tremendously anti-gay, comparing homosexuality to incest and pedophilia. So much so that he will not ALLOW gay people into his church.

A feminist, as it turns out, believes that women who are "feeling blue" should not be able to have an abortion. And a feminist believes any real discussion of abortion is above his pay grade.

A feminist, at least the one Ms. Magazine is revering, is free to make sexist comments about his competitor, allow vulgar, degrading sexual statements to be made and WORN on t-shirts (forget it - I'm not linking to those despicable shirts) without uttering ONE WORD against it, and pays the women on his staff less than the men.

And, lastly(but by no means the end), a feminist is someone who not only has retained on his staff, but ELEVATED to the top speech-writing post in the White House, this young man, Jon Favreau, who demonstrates his "affection" (read: sexist pig incredibly inappropriate actions) for Senator-Soon-To-Be-Secretary-Of-State, Hillary Clinton in the photo below:



Yep - no doubt about it - all my adult life, I have been completely and utterly wrong about what it means to be a feminist. Turns out, it is the exact opposite of what I always believed it to be.

I thought, I hoped, I prayed that after Bush was out of office, our country, our media, our leaders, our organizations, would return to the reality based community. Sadly, it seems that too many are continuing to perpetrate the charade of who Obama is. I guess it would just be too embarrassing to admit they, like so many others, had been completely duped by him (hey, if you want to know what it is like for all of those people who gave everything for Obama only to be dissed by him, just ask that sexist pig Jesse Jackson, Jr., Obama's campaign manager who threw not just Hillary but his own FATHER under the bus for Obama; or John Kerry who shilled for Obama, hoping for that Secretary of State position; or Jay Rockefeller; or HOWARD DEAN, who wasn't even invited to the introduction of the new DNC chair, what it is like to realize they've been had. Frankly, it couldn't have happened to more deserving people, especially Howard Dean, who allowed the Rules Committee to proceed in a completely unethical, immoral way all the while making it very clear who the DNC wanted for its nominee. So, Howie - what are you doing with your time under the bus?? Just wondering...). But to promote Obama, the most sexist, MISOGYNISTIC candidate I have ever seen as a FEMINIST is grotesque. Ms. Magazine has lost all credibility. Its editors have lost their minds. And they have sure lost me.

If this is what it means to be a feminist, freakin' count me out. I don't want to be lumped in the same group with a misogynistic (homophobic) pig like Obama. Clearly, we need another name for those of us who DO care, and work for, rights for women because as of this date, "feminist" has become a disparaging word, at least for me.

4 comments:

Logistics Monster said...

Rev, this is the equivalent of trotting out another endorsement every time Hillary kicked his ass. Something is about to happen and he doesn't want people looking that way - soooooooooooooooooooooo...a tad bit of sleight of hand and all the feminists aren't paying attention. This is SOOOOOOAudacious it falls into that "move along" category.

BTW - what happens when the bird flu or some other virus hits a large metro city in the US and all we have is Gupta? Anybody thought about that? F***in' morons.

I put up a link on my site to a "Fire Congress" group, and Lee Iacocca is now on a crusade to "throw the bums out". I have a link to his site in my sidebar also - if you or yours are interested.

Jordon good?

Rabble Rouser Reverend Amy said...

Hey, LM!

Yes, Jordan is good - he is back on his regular feed schedule as of today. Yay!

EXCELLENT point, LM, abt the sleight of hand. Obama does do that whenevr something is coming down the pike - that is so true. It will be interesting to see what it is - because you know those of us not on the Kool Aide are actually paying attention.

Like with Gupta - WE know he is not qualified to deal with a major public health hazard, but THEY don't seem to give a damn. It's his payback for shilling. Not a bad gig, huh??

Oh, I have to look into the Lee Iacocca thing!! And I did sign up to start getting Logistics Monster in my email - yay!

Thanks, LM!

Logistics Monster said...

Hopefully I can live up to you signing up for email updates!

I am soooooooooooooo glad about Jordon. You are gonna need him. Looks like shit is gonna hit the fan (I know you think it already has, but....)in 2/09. Thought you might like a heads up...email me for more details if you wish.

DT

Rabble Rouser Reverend Amy said...

Holy cow, DT! Yes, I think it has, but I imagine there is much more to come!

Heck yeah, I'll email you!