Monday, April 4, 2011

On This Sad Anniversary

Today is the anniversary of the assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr., gunned down at a hotel in Memphis, by James Earl Ray, in 1968.

Robert Kennedy announced this tragedy in one of the most eloquent, moving statements I have ever heard from anyone, politician or poet, minister or teacher. Here is his announcement of this event:



I cannot add anything more to Kennedy's announcement, and his exhortation.

Except to say this, on this day, as we remember Martin Luther King, Jr., his life, his tremendous achievements, and his death, let us remember the purpose of his life, his desire for peace, equality, and love.

In memory of the life and work of Martin Luther King, Jr., I offer this piece:



Yes, it is time, it is time, it is time...

2 comments:

SFIndie said...

Tears pouring down my face, Rev, and my heart is breaking for what might have been had these men lived.

Beautiful song. Here's another that came to mind: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdTOHVJWDz8

Rabble Rouser Reverend Amy said...

Oh, how well I remember that song. Thank you, SF.

Indeed. When I hear people like Robert Kennedy speak, I cannot understand why everyone thinks Obama is so eloquent? Kennedy had a tremendous depth to his statement of that horrible event that we just do not hear from our politicians these days. Wow.

So sad, indeed...